© S M Jones 2018. The information on this site is free for most uses. See the legal stuff for more information
This is page 1 of 5 tracing the history of the Witpen family, who we believe emigrated from what is now Germany to the east end of London during the latter part of the 18th century, and the link by marriage to the Cochrane family. If you have a connection to any individual or family featured here, or if you want to leave us your feedback, contact us. We’d particularly like to hear from anyone who could shed more light on the family’s German origins. Browse by clicking the last page/next page buttons or following the numbered e.g.  or parental [Parents] links.
1. Heinrich WITPEN. Born around 1740, possibly in Hannover that was at this time an Electorate within the Holy Roman Empire (from 1708 to 1814) It is, of course, now in Germany. It’s not known when Heinrich died or the reason why he emigrated to the east end of London.
Heinrich married Elizabeth (maiden name unknown) around 1766. They had the following children:
(1) Jacob  (2) Carsten  (3) Michael, born about 1778, location unknown. It’s not known when Michael died. (4) Henry, born about 1780, location unknown. It’s not known when Henry died. (5) Claus 
2. Jacob WITPEN [Parents]. Born about 1768, location unknown. Jacob died 6/1/1840 at 6 Little Turner Street, St George in the East, London, age about 61.
On 5/10/1800, when Jacob was age about 32, he married Frances HACK (dates unknown) in St George in the East. They had the following children:
(1) Herman  (2) Jacob, born around 1800. (3) Henry  (4) Frances, born 1803 & baptized 14/8/1803 at St Mary, Whitechapel. It’s not known when Frances died. On 20/6/1825, when Frances was age about 22, she married James WRIGHT (dates unknown) at St Matthew, Bethnal Green. (5) Carsten, born 23/12/1806 at Dragon’s Yard, Whitechapel and baptized 8/3/1807 at St Mary, Whitechapel. It’s not known when Carsten died. (5) Nicholas . (6) Michael born 19/5/1809 at Dragon’s Yard, Whitechapel and baptized 23/7/1809 at St Mary, Whitechapel. It’s not known when Michael died.
3. Carsten WITPEN [Parents]. Born about 1776 in Stepney, Carsten died in October 1832, with his burial taking place on 21/10/1832 at St Mary Whitechapel. The burial record gives his abode as Angel Alley and age 56. The Land Tax Assessment Books of 1813, vol 5788, "An assessment made in pursuance of an Act of Parliament passed in the thirty eight year of his Majesty by a Land Tax to be raised in Great Britain for the service of the year 1813. County of Middlesex Tower Division for the Hamlet of Mile End New Town in the said Division" contains the following entry on page 6: Rents 14. Occupiers: Carsten Witpen. Sums: £1 5s 8d. (Around £85 today.) Occupation: variously Victualler; Labourer.
On 12/10/1812, when Carsten was age about 36, he married Mary POOLE, daughter of Thomas POOLE & Sidwill SAYER, at St Mary, Whitechapel. Mary was baptized 24/5/1893 at St Mary, her parents’ abode given as Angel Alley. It’s not known when Mary died.
They had the following children:
(1) Heinrich, born 6/7/1813 in Mile End & baptized 8/8/1813 at St Dunstan & All Saints, Stepney. It’s not known when Heinrich died. (2) Sarah, baptized 20/4/1817 at St Mary, Whitechapel, her parents’ abode given as Ink Horn Court. On 12/6/1843, when Sarah was age 26, she married William George PAYNE at St Dunstan & All Saints. It’s not known when Sarah died. (3) William, born 10/3/1820 in Mile End Old Town & baptized 30/4/1820 at St Dunstan & All Saints. It’s not known when William died. (4) George . (5) Mary Ann, born 17/1/1825 in Ink Horn Court, Whitechapel & baptized 20/2/1825 at St Mary, Whitechapel. Mary Ann died 11/2/1865 at St Bartholomew's Hospital, age 40. Cause of death certified as Carcinmoma of Pylorus. On 13/4/1846, when Mary Ann was age 21, she married John COCHRANE, son of James COCHRANE & Elizabeth WHITEHEAD, at the Parish Church, Islington. (6) John  (7) Eliza, born 11/1/1829 & baptized 8/2/1829 at St Mary, Whitechapel. Eliza died 8/9/1870 at 9 Temple Street, Dalston, age 41. Cause of death: Phthisis [TB] 2 years. (8) Thomas Frederick, born 27/11/1831 & baptized 1/1/1832 at St Mary, Whitechapel. Thomas Frederick died in April 1833, age 1, and was buried 28/4/1833 at St Mary.
4. Claus WITPEN [Parents]. Born about 1795 in Stepney, it’s not known when Claus died.
On 7/5/1815, when Claus was age about 20, he married Mary Ann STONE at Christ Church, Greyfriars, Newgate. It’s not known when Mary Ann was born or died.
They had the following children:
(1) Henry  (2) Mary Ann, born 22/4/1820 & baptized 13/8/1820 at United Parishes of Christ Church & St Leonard, City of London. Mary Ann died quarter ending December 1874 in Mile End Old Town, age 54. In 1846, when Mary Ann was age about 26, she married John MILDENHALL in Bethnal Green. John was born about 1820 in City Road. It’s not known when he died.
Thinking of discovering more about your family’s past? We can help. Click to visit our sister site Wharfedale Research for a range of family history research services and to find out about a free initial consultation.
|Legal stuff and Cookies|