© S M Jones 2017. The information on this site is free for most uses. See the legal stuff for more information
Fourth Generation (continued)
11. George Thomas MONK [Parents]. Born quarter ending March 1859 in Portsmouth, George died quarter ending December 1932 in Portsmouth, age 73. Occupation: Variously given in census returns as Mess Servant (1881); Messenger in Dynamo Works (1891); Gatekeeper (1901); Messenger (1911).
In quarter ending March 1882, when George was age 23, he married Emily JERMYN in Lambeth. Emily was born about 1860 in Charlton. It is not known when she died.
They had the following children, all born in Greenwich:
(1) Emily Edith, born quarter ending June 1882. Emily had a daughter Edith Emily MONK, who was born quarter ending December 1899, also in Greenwich. (2) Hannah Sophia, born quarter ending June 1884. (3) Alice Maud, born quarter ending June 1891.
12. Matthew MONK [Parents]. Born about 1862 in Westminster, Matthew drowned in the River Thames 21/4/1921, age about 58. An entry in the National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations) reads: “MONK Matthew of 22 Crescent Lane Clapham Surrey found drowned 21 April 1921 in the river Thames near Vauxhall Bridge Probate London 12 May to Mary Jane Monk widow. Effects £178 5s.” (The equivalent of around £7,173 today.) Occupation: Variously given in census returns as Clerk to Cement Merchant (1881); Manager of Lime & Cement Works (1891); Wharf Manager (1901); Book keeper (1911).
On 3/9/1887, when Matthew was age about 25, he married Mary Jane THOMAS, daughter of James THOMAS, a Boot & Shoe Maker, at St Mary’s Parish Church, Battersea. Mary Jane was born about 1863 in Westminster. It is not known when she died.
They had the following children:
(1) Grace Emily, born about 1889 in Battersea. (2) Lilian Mary, born quarter ending June 1892 in Leytonstone.
13. Alfred MONK [Parents]. Born 9/1/1862 in Lower Halling & baptized 23/2/1862, Alfred died in August 1946 in Maidstone, age 84. He was buried 21/8/1946 at St John the Baptist, Halling. Occupation: Variously given in census returns as Railway brakeman (1881); Cement labourer (1891 & 1901); Barge loading labourer (1911).
In the quarter ending December 1882, when Alfred was age 20, he married Clara BEADLE, daughter of Charles BEADLE & Harriet PARRIS, in Malling. Clara was born about 1864 in Upper Halling & died there quarter ending March 1917, age about 53.
They had the following children, all born in Halling:
(1) Ethel Clara, born August 1883 and died October 1883, age 2 months. She Clara was buried 2/11/1883 at St John the Baptist, Halling. (2) Alice Maud, born 1884. It’s not known when she died. On 29/1/1908, when Alice was age 23, she married John Joseph HAMMOND (1881-?) at St John the Baptist, Halling. (3) Alfred James, born 23/7/1887 and died 1944 in Croydon, age 56. In 1909, when Alfred was age about 21, he married Eleanor Annie DATLEN (1886-1951). (4) Clara Hester, born 28/9/1889. (5) Helen Agnes, born quarter ending September 1891. It’s not known when she died. On 21/6/1922, when Helen was age 30, she married Alexander NICOL (1882-?) at St John the Baptist, Halling. (6) Harry Arthur, born quarter ending March 1894 and died April 1910, age 16. He was buried 16/4/1910 at St John the Baptist, Halling. (7) Mabel Elaine, born quarter ending June 1896. (8) Albert Frank, born 9/9/1898 and died 1982 in Slough, age 84. In 1934, when Albert was age 26, he married Mary EVANS (1898-?) in Windsor. (9) Dora Ruth, born quarter ending December 1900 and died 1966 in Maidstone, age 65. Dora never married. (10) Cora Grace, born 21/4/1903 and died 1983 in Maidstone, age 80. On 17/6/1925, when Cora Grace was age 22, she married Leonard Waldo FEATHERSTONE (1900-1964), son of James David FEATHERSTONE, a Greengrocer, at Christ Church, Lower Birling.
The Monk family circa 1912. Click to view. On the far right hand side, two boys can be seen at the window, watching the photo shoot. They may be Jesse and Ernest Hart who appear in the 1911 census (age 9 and 3 respectively) living next to the Monk family with their parents Jesse and Amy, and 3 older sisters.
Thinking of discovering more about your family’s past? We can help. Visit our sister site Wharfedale Research for a range of family history research services and to find out about a FREE initial assessment.
|Legal stuff and Cookies|