© S M Jones 2018. The information on this site is free for most uses. See the legal stuff for more information
This is page 1 of 5 tracing the history of the Jones family of Much Wenlock, Shropshire. If you have a connection to any individual or family featured here, or if you want to leave us your feedback, contact us. Browse by clicking the last page/next page buttons or following the numbered (e.g. ) or parental ([Parents]) links.
1. William JONES. All we know at present is that William was a “grocer, chemist and druggist” who married Anne, but her maiden name & their marriage date is unknown. There is no trace of a marriage for them in the Much Wenlock parish registers.
They had the following children, all baptized Much Wenlock:
(1) Thomas, baptized 18/7/1802. (2) William, baptized 3/9/1803. (3) Mary, baptized 25/8/1804. (4) St John, baptized 21/11/1806. (5) Sarah, baptized 7/6/1809. (6) Anne, baptized 23/7/1811. (7) Elizabeth, baptized 15/10/1813. (8) William, baptized 5/12/1815. (9) Alice, baptized 3/3/1819. (10) Joseph .
2. Joseph JONES [Parents]. Baptized 8/4/1821 in Much Wenlock, Joseph died 26/11/1864 in Forster Street, Walsall, Staffordshire, age 43. The cause of death was certified as “Diseased liver and phthisis” (tuberculosis). Mary Ann Brown of Warwick Street, Walsall was in attendance & registered the death on 28/11/1864. Occupation: Journeyman Saddler.
On his marriage certificate to Elizabeth Wright, Joseph was described as a widower. We have not been able to trace Joseph’s first marriage.
On 25/9/1854, when Joseph was age 33, he married Elizabeth WRIGHT, daughter of Jonathan WRIGHT & Jane BUZZARD, at the Parish Church, Knossington. Elizabeth was baptized 6/11/1825 in Knossington & died there 4/6/1895, age 69.
Before her marriage to Joseph, Elizabeth had the following child (father unknown):
(1) Frederick Wright, born 1848.
Joseph Jones & Elizabeth Wright had the following children:
(1) Harriet, born quarter ending June 1855 Walsall & baptized 13/7/1856 in Knossington. It is thought that Harriet may have died in the quarter ending September 1937 in Kent, age 82. In the quarter ending September 1877, when Harriet was age 22, she married Tom Henry MOULD, son of Henry MOULD & Catherine CARTER. Born quarter ending March 1854 in Skeffington, Tom died sometime between 1901 & 1911 - Harriet was described as a widow in the 1911 census. (2) Jane Elizabeth, born quarter ending March 1857 in Walsall & baptized 31/3/1868 in Knossington, age about 11. Jane Elizabeth died 20/1/1929 in Lewisham, age about 71. An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “HARRIS Jane Elizabeth of 90 Springbank Road Lewisham Kent widow died 20 January 1929 Administration London 6 March to Harriett Mould widow [Jane’s sister]. Effects £42 10s.” (The equivalent of around £2,200 today.) In the quarter ending June 1884, when Jane Elizabeth was age 26, she married Henry HARRIS, son of Henry HARRIS & Harriet LAMBERT, in Tunbridge, Kent. They had no children. (3) Jonathan William . (4) Joseph, born 1861, Walsall. Joseph does not appear in the 1871 (or later) censuses so it is assumed he died sometime before 1871. (5) Richard Williams .
Thinking of discovering more about your family’s past? We can help. Click to visit our sister site Wharfedale Research for a range of family history research services and to find out about a free initial consultation.
|Legal stuff and Cookies|